Over the past three days Dad has spent a lot of time at the Huntsman Cancer Institute including a visit to the acute care unit on Wednesday to get some fluids, a PET scan on Thursday and a consultation with the Oncology doctor today. It was today's visit that we were most eagerly awaiting the outcome. The news was neither all bad, nor all good.
The PET scan results - along with previous tests - indicate that Dad has stage 4 gastric cancer, which is the most advanced stage. On a more positive note, the doctor outlined a treatment plan targeting an improvement in Dad's quality of life, and an increase in the time he has left with us. He will start a chemotherapy regimen next week aimed at slowing tumor growth and lessening the associated symptoms. Based on the effectiveness of chemotherapy there may also an opportunity to participate in an immunotherapy clinical trial beginning in August.
We are hopeful that these two approaches combine to decrease the discomfort Dad has unfortunately experienced as of late and allow him to comfortably be with us as long as possible. Dad strongly feels there is still work to be done before he leaves us, and we selfishly hope it takes some time to get that work done.
This is a test since my last comment didn't go through.
ReplyDeleteThis is Russ Germer. Craig, I just want to tell you how much I admire you. I've always felt that you are the best jazz pianist in the state. Rita and I have your CDs in our cars and listen to them a lot. They are way good. We both remember you in our prayers many times each day. We do love you tons. We have wanted to come and see you but have heard that it's hard for you to have visitors.
ReplyDeleteLorraine says that you have kept your sense of humor. When we first learned of your illness I asked Rita: "Does that mean they won't be going on a mission?" The good thing about all this is that you know where you are going. Many people in the world have no idea about the Gospel plan. When you get up there check out what the great composers are up to. They have eternity to hone their skills. I have often wondered how many instruments God can play. Probably all of them.
Well Craig, we love you and know that all is well. Much love, Russ Germer
I miss popa.):
ReplyDeleteSad face.