| 6 year old Sven made a "sculpture" of his Papa. |
Thank you so much for your love and prayers. We feel them. We are overwhelmed by the compassion you have shown. As Papa said today, in light of this very difficult circumstance, "This is a real bummer." Even with the pain being a "9" at times, he still has his sense of humor. Oh how we love Papa!
| Papa with nine of his seventeen grandchildren on 6/26/15. |
I feel I should reduce my feelings to writing the best I
can. First of all, I believe I am at a very sacred junction— a time when Heaven
has been preparing me for my eventual passage from this earthly life.
Naturally, we all want to cling onto every available hour we can. I’m no
different in that respect. Every instinct I possess drives me to stay with you
as long as I possibly can.
Way down deep though, I feel I am being beckoned from the
other side. The only question is how urgently do they want me? I have a feeling
that question may be answered soon because my capacity to eat and drink is
rapidly diminishing. I have now lost over 50 pounds and it’s very difficult to
think that in my declining, emaciated condition, chemotherapy would help. One
doctor recently intimated as much, saying that those on chemo who don’t keep up
their weight do not do well.
Much has been said about my will to live or whether I am
just “giving up” without a fight. That is not at all what this is about. Those
who know me best know I do not give up when things are difficult—that’s never
been my nature. On the other hand, when I feel a spiritual prompting that I
should go a certain direction, I have tried to pay heed. Sometimes I am a
little bull-headed and reluctant to do what I’ve been asked, but the last few
years I believe Heavenly Father has trusted me more to act on spiritual
promptings because he has given more of them to me.
It is out of my tender feelings for the desires of my loved ones that I agreed to try chemo in the first place. I have no regrets about that at all. It only confirmed my spiritual conviction that I should instead let nature take its course. I hope, at this point, my loved ones can trust me and know that I would never fail them just to avoid more suffering and pain. This is a spiritual matter and sacred matter, a holy matter. My final thought is that I should do nothing to either forestall or to facilitate my passing. Heaven will simply draw me from mortality when it’s time and not before.
It is out of my tender feelings for the desires of my loved ones that I agreed to try chemo in the first place. I have no regrets about that at all. It only confirmed my spiritual conviction that I should instead let nature take its course. I hope, at this point, my loved ones can trust me and know that I would never fail them just to avoid more suffering and pain. This is a spiritual matter and sacred matter, a holy matter. My final thought is that I should do nothing to either forestall or to facilitate my passing. Heaven will simply draw me from mortality when it’s time and not before.
Oh, to be sure, I hope the medical people can make me
comfortable in the process, but I would not want a feeding tube or other
extraordinary life support means. Just
let nature take her course.
All my love always,
Craig-Dad-Papa
Cherraine again-- Craig started hospice yesterday, June 25th. The plan is to help manage his pain, but not to help with food or fluids. He is to eat and drink as much as he can. This is tough to do, but he is trying. We saw him eat part of an apple, a Popsicle, and the head of a gingerbread man today. That's a good day.
Love you all so much.
ReplyDeleteYou are, once again, a great father and teacher. We have felt your love to your family. It is never easy getting out of this life. We pray for your endurance and comfort in the coming days. Love, Rita&Russ
ReplyDeleteThank you for sharing this blog with us. We love you all so much. Many prayers are being sent your way.
ReplyDeleteDear Craig and Margie, This is Scott. Because of Luanne I got to meet you 12 years ago and in the few times I got to meet with you I could feel of your tremendous spirit, I know you are a great man. Going through these trials is quite an experience and I know you are facing it as a true champion and son of God. Your faith is solid. I as one who has been on the other side of the fence as I call it, now for some years, can greatly empathize with your thought process at this time. This whole new normal can sometimes be a bummer, but the love and compassion from family and friends can hold you up. Knowing who you are and the plan of life is such a great comfort in these times. I tell myself everyday as I talk to God I know my life is in your hands and I trust you are doing the best for me and my family, so no complaints. So what ever comes your way, you know you are on the right path. I know time is growing short, but I hope you will say as I know you will, I have fought a good fight, I've kept the faith, and my family and I will be together always. Craig, I love you and your sweet Margie and family in the short time I've known them, and I know you will all be just fine, because of God's great love for you all. He is with you. Sent with love from one Lame Duck to a super guy who has now joined the club. It's an honor to know you, and you will be in my prayers.
ReplyDeleteWith much admiration, Scott Savage.
Dear Craig and Margie,
ReplyDeleteOh how sad I was to hear of Craig’s illness. Some trials are harder than others and this is a hard one, darn it! But you have each other and you know you will be together forever. What a wonderful comfort and blessing that is. Craig, I loved to hear you speak in stake conference. You have moved and motivated me many times. Margie, my time spent in the stake Primary with you is a precious memory. You are a good friend; always smiling and loving those around you. I love both of you so much and I appreciate the love and support you have given me. My heartfelt prayers are with you and your sweet family. May God bless you and keep you and may you feel His peace in your hearts.
With love, Jessie Newman
What a beautiful letter. I draw strength from your words. Thank you for sharing. When I think of you President Larson, I think of a talented man who fulfills all callings given to him from what I have observed. From your church callings to your friendship to your role as a husband/father. Thank you for all of the support you have shown me and my family over the years. I hope that prayers bring you physical comfort through this trial. May God's love and peace be with you in your home surrounding you, Margie and your family.
ReplyDeleteWith Love, Randi Olson Bennion