Saturday, June 20, 2015

Reflections On the Journey.

Dear Family and Friends,


I thought I ought to take my turn today at a blog entry, if only to tell you how much I love and appreciate you. I am learning the deep lessons of life that for some of us hard-heads come in no other way than through severe adversity. Actually, we all know, to one degree or another that refinement and sanctification really do come through the hard times.


At the same time "man is that he might have joy," so eventually and thankfully, the hard times pass and we move ahead with a little stronger foundation.


Yesterday I had my first infusion of chemo. It started out as a rough experience, exacerbated by an attempt to eat some soup which didn't agree with me. Margie and my son Erik were by my side, though, and the rough moments passed and things got better. I finished the infusion and got hooked up with yet another chemo drug that will be pumped into my body until Sunday afternoon. I also met with a nutritionist who said I need to get 2100 calories/day, including 80-100 grams of protein. So, I'm going to do all in my power to build my strength while on chemo and do my level best to stick around for awhile.  It dawned me today that when the sacred things and purposes of life are sharply in focus, like they are for our family right now, mere months can be the equivalent of several (maybe even many) years of regular life experience.  I think I will know down deep and from above when my time is up.   In the meantime, the battle's on!  I'm just glad to get going with something pro-active.


Amidst all the misery have come some of the sweetest experiences of my life.
Today, when we came home from the hospital I found a bag of soft, gingerbread men made by my loving daughter-in-law Lorraine. I promptly threw all caution to the wind and ate one--and lo and behold, it sat extremely well with me! I then laid down to rest and heard a lawn mower outside. Caden Hill and his dad, Jason, were mowing our lawn. I broke down and bawled like a baby. I told Caden, "You keep this up and you'll be a happy man because life's all about lifting others when they're down."


I must tell you that Margie and I are feeling the power of prayer and angelic compassion to a degree we never thought possible. Believe me, it is palpable. Thank you for your faith. Regardless of how this turns out, rest assured that you have helped us through this difficult time. Margie and I know we will know the Savior when we see Him, because we have seen Him in your faces and felt His love in your hugs.


Love, Craig and Margie

4 comments:

  1. So darn proud of you dad. You're the TOPS.
    Em

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bishop Larson! I am still learning from you even though we moved from SL 15+ years ago. I still think about your birthday phone calls you made. I cherished those. My dad even carried on the tradition when he was the bishop a few years ago.

    You are an amazing man and have an amazing family. You and your sweet family are in my prayers.
    Love,
    Michelle (Lee) Perry

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Craig and Margie,
    We are sorry about the news that Craig has stomach cancer.
    I am sorry that Craig has had to go through those difficult
    symptoms of the cancer.
    Craig - we loved the beautiful song you wrote. Meaningful lyrics
    and wonderful music. You are so talented!
    We love Craig and Margy and their children - they are a strong family.
    We will be praying and thinking of you.
    Love,
    Ann L DeMill and family

    ReplyDelete
  4. President Larson,

    You probably won't remember me. My name is Melissa Marshall, I married Joseph Marshall. I just wanted to tell you how much I have loved knowing you. You have always been so kind to me, and as a spiritual leader I felt the strength of your conviction. Thank you for those things.

    God be with you and your family at this tender time. Our prayers are with you all.
    Melissa

    ReplyDelete